Date:      Sun, 2 Mar 1997 22:50:59 +0800 (WST)
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@obiwan.aceonline.com.au>
To:        Jason Wells <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Terminals and environments

> I seem to be stumbling upon some arbitrary changes of environment. I
> doubt however that the change is arbitrary but is determined by some
> code that is unknown to me. What actions does a user perform that end up
> resulting in a change of environment? More specifically, are there
> events other than login that change my environment without my knowing
> that my environment is being changed?

Is the .profile on your university account or at home?
Also - what sort of environment changes?

> When I telnet to my university account I am able to login. After login
> some commands execute and some commands return "unknown terminal type:
> cons25." I guess that I have to set some terminal type in my
> environment. How do I change the type of terminal that I use? What
> actions does a user perform that result in a change of terminal type?

OK.

when you telnet to a host, one of the things that your client and the
telnetd at the remote host negotiates is the current terminal type. Which,
from a FreeBSD console by default is cons25. Now, since most systems I
connect to run Linux, and Linux doesn't have the cons25 entry in its
terminal capability database, it barfs. Just like you are seeing.

If you run the same thing from an xterm, it SHOULD work (unless you are
forcing cons25 to be set in your .profile on your home machine, which is a
bad thing). In an xterm you are no longer using the "cons25" terminal
description, but an "xterm" terminal description (so a set | grep TERM
should show TERM=xterm instead of TERM=cons25 from the FreeBSD console).
When you run xterm under X, it sets your TERM variable to xterm.
Most systems I've played with have an xterm entry in the termcap database,
and so things work.

Cya.

Adrian.