Date:      Fri, 03 Apr 1998 00:02:08 -0600
From:      Kris Kirby <kris@ninbox.ml.org>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        "M. Monninger" <markem@primenet.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3c503 problems

David Greenman wrote:

> >I've just installed 2.2.6 and it seems to work except for my 3c503 card.
> >The probe finds it but when I give it an ip address with ifconfig I get
> >device timeouts on it. I'm using the ed0 driver and the card works just
> >fine under Windoze 95. Are there any other options I need to specify in
> >ifconfig? I'm using the bnc side of it.
> >
> >I know, it's an old slow card but it's been working just fine and the price
> >was right.
>
>    It should work fine with FreeBSD. What is the irq on the card set to?
> I suspect that the kernel setting and the card setting don't match.
>
> -DG
>
> David Greenman
> Core-team/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project

Before we all get messed up, the 3c503 has two sets of jumpers: Memory
Address (C8000, CC000, D8000, DC000) and I/O Address (2E0, 2A0, 280,
250, 350, 330, 310, 300). Those are as read from the bottom, with I/O
below the memory block. My 2.2.5-RELEASE Handbook says that the 3c503
info is in FAQ135.html#135:

9.9. How do I get my 3C503 to use the other network port?

If you want to use the other ports, you'll have to specify an additional
parameter on the ifconfig(1) command line. The default port is
``link0''. To use the AUI port instead of the BNC one, use ``link2''.

--

Kris Kirby <kris@airnet.net>