Date:      Sun, 04 Feb 1996 09:33:25 -0800
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
To:        Darryl Okahata <darrylo@hpnmhjw.sr.hp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Most stable EISA SCSI controller?

>Hi,
>
>     Does anyone know which EISA SCSI controller is the "most stable"
>under FreeBSD 2.1R?  I need to replace my 1542CF with some EISA
>controller, and I'd like to know what I should get.  Normally, I'd just
>get an Adaptec 2742.  However, the 2940 driver in 2.1R supposedly has
>problems, and the same ahc driver seems to be used for the 2742.  I'm
>worried about the stability of the 2742/ahc driver in 2.1R.

If you don't want to get a 2742, get a 1742.  If you can't find a
1742, get a bt747.  The 2742 has 1/3rd the command overhead of
the 1742 and does tagged queueing.  The 2742 has 1/5th the command
overhead of the bt747 and even though the bt747 may support tagged
queueing, our driver does not.  The 2742 is by far the best EISA
controller we support, but if upgrading the 2.1-STABLE is not an
option, then pick one of the other two controllers.  The ahc driver
in 2.1-STABLE is, as the name implies, much more stable. :)

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations