Date:      24 Aug 2000 10:32:24 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: read only / filesystem

Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com> writes:

> On Thursday, 24 August 2000 at  3:05:06 +0100, j mckitrick wrote:

> > they said
> > chflags: /dev/ttyp0/ read-only file system
> >
> > no clue.  do i modify ttys?
>
> No, I think I'd hunt down that chflags command and nuke it:
>
>   $ grep chflags /etc/rc*
>   /etc/rc:chflags 0 /dev/tty[pqrsPQRS]*
>
> Just comment out that line.

And the ones around it.  Which clearly aren't needed if /dev is on a
read-only filesystem, anyway.  I can't think of an easy way to test
for that case, or I'd suggest patching rc to handle it...

A little less automagical, you could add a conf variable to handle it.
Perhaps something like:

*** rc~ Thu Aug 24 10:26:02 2000
--- rc  Thu Aug 24 10:30:47 2000
***************
*** 212,220 ****

  # Whack the pty perms back into shape.
  #
! chflags 0 /dev/tty[pqrsPQRS]*
! chmod 666 /dev/tty[pqrsPQRS]*
! chown root:wheel /dev/tty[pqrsPQRS]*

  # Clean up left-over files
  #
--- 212,226 ----

  # Whack the pty perms back into shape.
  #
! case ${read_only_dev} in
! [Yy][eE][sS])
! *)
!       chflags 0 /dev/tty[pqrsPQRS]*
!       chmod 666 /dev/tty[pqrsPQRS]*
!       chown root:wheel /dev/tty[pqrsPQRS]*
! esac

  # Clean up left-over files
  #