Date:      Tue, 17 Jul 2001 14:52:53 +0300
From:      "Shila Ofek" <shila_ofek@hotmail.com>
To:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   SSH with PAM and TACACS+/Radius (was: OpenSSH UseLogin parameter)

Hi,
Thanks for all the answers about my previous question.
Well, now I've got the right version - FreeBSD4.3, but I still can't do what
I need.

What I need to do is the following:
When the SSH user authentication is a password authentication, I want to
authenticate through PAM.  The reason for that is that I want to
authenticate through TACACS+ and Radius servers.
Users that authenticate through these servers, usually don't have local
accounts in the master.passwd files.  Instead a parameter named "template
user" is given in the pam.conf file, and the pam_radius and pam_tacplus
libraries return this user after authenticating the real user.  The template
user must have a local account.
Now to the actual problem..
The code of the OpenSSH deamon first looks for the user in the passwd files.
  In case the user is a TACACS/Radius user, he is not found there, of
course.  If the user is not fount, the authentication with PAM is not called
at all!  This is a problem.  The code in SSH should work similarly to that
in the login program, where after the authentication takes place, the
template user is looked up in the master.passwd file.
Does anyone know of a patch for this, or any other solution?

Thanks,
   Shila.