Date:      Mon, 11 Dec 2000 15:27:57 +1100
From:      "Jeff Fulton" <jefff@fulton.net.au>
To:        "Will Mitayai Keeso Rowe" <mitayai@dreaming.org>, "David Erickson" <erickson@mddsg.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: MAC Address

Maybe to masquerade as another address to fool a dhcp server or even a
license server.
Some of the cable networks register your mac address and won't allow you to
connect from a different address, unless you call them up and ask to get it
changed.
There have also been a few nasty manufacturing events over the years when a
whole batch of cards got sent out all with identical mac addresses.

Regards,
Jeff Fulton