Date:      Sun, 13 Oct 2002 12:34:40 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Martin Tsanov <cyberzone@odessos.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel panic after updating to 4.7-stable

Martin Tsanov wrote:

>>>Hello list
>>>
>>>Today I cvsupped my source tree and made the upgrade
>>>procedure.
>>>cd /usr/src
>>>make buildworld
>>>make buildkernel
>>>make installkernel
>>>make installworld
>>>mergemaster
>>>reboot
>>>I was not able to boot with the new kernel due to kernel panic,
>>>so I booted with the old kernel.
>>>Attached is the output of dmesg for the new kernel.
>>>Please help as this is my gateway/firewall.
>>>

>>There was a patch to .../src/sys/kern/vfs_subr.c that fixed a panic.
>>If you are following 4.x-stable, you should be following
>
> freebsd-stable.
>
>>Kent
>>
>>--
>>Kent Stewart
>>Richland, WA
>>
>>http://users.owt.com/kstewart/index.html
>>

> Where can I find this patch? And how to apply it?
> I still consider myself a newbie.
> Till now, I was very happy with my FreeBSD box.
> I began using it at 4.5-Release and updated several times
> without any problems. I do follow stable, but suddenly,
> without no apparent reason I stopped receiving the messages
> at 30 september.

You can see what they changed at

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/kern/vfs_subr.c.diff?r1=1.249.2.28&r2=1.249.2.29&f=h

It is pretty simple and gives you the full path into your local
/usr/src/ directory. If you only change the line with the problem, you
can rebuild and install your kernel. Technically, if you recvsup, you
are supposed to rebuild everything.

As to your subscription, send "which" to the majordomo. It will tell
you if you are still subscribed. If you aren't currently subscribed,
you need to re-subscribe.

There were a number of people that were causing email bounces because
of problems with their mail-boxes. Their subscriptions get deleted
fairly quickly when this happens.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart