Date:      Thu, 10 Dec 1998 10:42:01 -0500
From:      Graeme Tait <graeme@echidna.com>
To:        Jt <hometeam@techpower.net>
Cc:        Robert Blayzor <robert@superior.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.8-STABLE Reboots Mysteriously

Jt wrote:

> Check the "dumpdev" setting in rc.conf, it specifies where kernel crash
> dumps should go. This _must_ be one of your swap drives, and the swap
> drive must be big enough to have the content of your physical memory
> dumped onto it. To enable it without rebooting, use dumpon(8).

What is the correct syntax for this - is it like

dumpdev="/dev/rda0s1a"

(raw mode?) if say /dev/da0s1a is a swap partition?

I have 2 swap partitions on da0 and da1 *exactly* the size of memory
(262144*1024 bytes). Will this work in a crash, or does the swap partition need
to be marginally larger than memory?

Finally, is there a simple way to induce a crash in a normal working system, to
see how the crash dumps work?

--
Graeme Tait - Echidna