Date:      Mon, 24 May 1999 13:08:04 +0200
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely.de>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
Cc:        Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>, fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: reference for filesystem with btree layout?

On Mon, May 24, 1999 at 04:19:35AM -0500, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> On Mon, 24 May 1999, Narvi wrote:
>

> > On Sat, 22 May 1999, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> >
> > > also, specifically in FreeBSD, I don't see a reason why a filesystem can't
> > > take ownership of multiple block devices, is there a reason?
> > >

> > What's the need? You can stripe the block devices with ccd (or concat
> > with vinum) and get the same result.
>
> the point would be to at runtime add more backing block devices
> to expand or migrate the filesystem.

I'm currently developing a growfs tool which is able to increase the
size of a FFS filesystem.
You simply increase the partitionsize and run growfs on it.
Geting a big enough partition is still the job of vinum, ccd or big HDDs.
At this moment my implementation only shows that it might be working some day.
It still contains at least one principle problem, several bugs and some work
on handling the previously last cylinder group correctly.
After the programm is working the next step will be to get it and depending
programs working without the need to umount the partition before increasing.
Solaris 2.x with MD installed shows that it is possible to do.

Decreasing a FS is generaly a problematic thing to do, because the need to move
the filedata from the cut-away part. This will change the inode-numbers of that
files and invalidades all references to it. Unlukily even NFS-Clients references
inodes anyhow.

What else do you expect from a multipartition FS?

--
  B.Walter