Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 2002 05:12:36 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>, Lawrence Sica <lomifeh@earthlink.net>, Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, Ceri Davies <setantae@submonkey.net>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

David Schultz wrote:
> Thus spake Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>:
> [snip psychobabble]
> > I'm sorry, I guess you forgot that you have the absolute power to
> > control your online input. You can make a troll irrelevant in a number
> > of ways:
[ ... ]
> It wouldn't be too hard to filter.  Three components come to mind
> for a solution to the recent troll problem:
[ ... ]

Nice toy.

Like all fitering proposals, though, it doesn't really keep people
from having to pay for connect time, or spend elapsed transfer time,
downloading unwanted messages.

The normal way you handle this is to subscribe to lists where
anti-troll ordinances are enforced (obviously, this doesn't
generally include "-chat").

Dave thinks this is robbing the trolls of their right to speak,
but I would maintain that usenet is still available for that
purpose, and so are street corners and PTA meetings, so you
might as well keep it off the mailing lists.

In the limit, though, there's always "Yeah, it robs them of
their rights; we're a repressive fasciest society; get over it".

8-).

-- Terry