Date:      Sun, 20 Sep 1998 04:27:41 +1200
From:      Joe Abley <jabley@clear.co.nz>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ELF ldconfig

Hi all,

I have a (possibly naieve) question about the ELF ldconfig hints file.

The ELF hints file is built by sbin/ldconfig/elfhints.c, which is very
particular about the files in the search path it will include - for
example, in /usr/local/lib, libslang.so.1.2.2 is built by the slang port,
but no link under the name libslang.so.1 is present.

Since ldconfig currently won't accept libslang.so.1.2.2 as a valid name
for a library to be cached, ldconfig -r won't list it - and hence trying
to build other ports (like mutt) that depend on finding slang\\.1\\.
in the ldconfig -r output is a bit futile. The ports build of X11R6 does
exactly the same thing - /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6.1 is created, but since
no symlink named libX11.so.6 exists, ldconfig doesn't pick it up.

Might I suggest that elfhints.c could be extended to recognise other
names of the correct type in the search path which don't conform to the
^lib[a-z]+\.so\.[0-9]$ pattern? Would this have an adverse impact on
anything else?

If this is the way to go, then I'm happy to suggest a patch - I'm just
hoping that I'm all wrong about this, and that there is something very basic
and simple that would be better :)

As an alternative, the whole of the ports collection could be updated to
install correct symlinks using names understood by ldconfig, but this seems
like a major job if we're looking at a 3.0 release in under thirty days.

Joe

--
Joe Abley <jabley@clear.co.nz>      Tel +64 9 912-4065, Fax +64 9 912-5008
Network Architect, CLEAR Net                      http://www.clear.net.nz/