Date:      Fri, 9 Jul 1999 10:43:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Ken <kvgu@uswest.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: yabq

On Fri, 9 Jul 1999, Ken wrote:

> yabq: yet another boneheaded question....
>
> I was checking out the tripwire port the other day and wanted to make with
> floppy option, so I did;
>
> make TRIPWIRE_FLOPPY=YES
> make install
>
> Just like I always do when I want to specify non default options like
> USA_RESIDENT, etc.  However, in this case the floppy wasn't written to
> unless I included the floppy statement in my make install command as well.
> Should I always be doing this?

	In general, if you do X and it doesn't work, and you do Y and it
works, you "should" do Y. :) The thing about unix is that there is more
than one way to do things in almost every situation, so "should" is a
relative term.

	In this particular case if you were building the tripwire port you
could do, 'make TRIPWIRE_FLOPPY=YES install clean' and it would perform
all the steps for you in one go. Some non-port installations allow you to
do this, most (especially those based on GNU autoconf) don't, so you'd
have to add your flag to both commands.

Hope this helps,

Doug
--
On account of being a democracy and run by the people, we are the only
nation in the world that has to keep a government four years, no matter