Date:      Thu, 23 Jul 1998 09:44:07 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Arne Norre Ekstroem <aneks@kom.auc.dk>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Arne Norre Ekstroem <aneks@kom.auc.dk>, wkt@cs.adfa.oz.au, ulf@alameda.net, www@FreeBSD.ORG, staff@sunsite.auc.dk
Subject:   Re: Mirroring FreeBSD www pages using rsync. [Req #316]

>>>>> "Doug" == Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu> writes:

Doug> On Fri, 17 Jul 1998, Arne Norre Ekstroem wrote:

>> Sorry to interrupt, but I can't resist asking, -any chance that you
>> guys might consider allowing rsync'ing of the actual FreeBSD
>> distribution as well??? (Using a new version of rsync... :-). David
>> Greenman informs me that no such plans exist, but it would really
>> make life a _lot_ easier...

Doug> I doubt it unless rsnc has a significantly more efficient
Doug> protocol than CVSup.

After my mail has been unavailable for a while, I'm returning to our
discussion...

As far as I know CVSup is only available for the source tree and the
www-pages, right???

If I'm right you are really wasting bandwidth each time a mirror
traverses the ftp tree of your site just in order to do nothing. Rsync
would drastically reduce the load on your net connection resulting
from such mirror updates.

What do you have to loose by offering an up to date rsync of the
FreeBSD distribution???

Best regards,

Arne