Date:      Sun, 3 May 1998 13:52:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        Nicolas.Souchu@prism.uvsq.fr, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ISA PnP / snd PnP developments?

On Sun, 3 May 1998, Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> > I'm not a device driver author, but I do know that FreeBSD makes _no_
> > use whatsoever of the bios.  It relies in no way whatsoever on anything
>
> actually this is false. Even booting from disk uses BIOS services.
> and resources to PCI and ISA-PnP devices are assigned by the bios.

I guess in my mind I was saying that the drivers don't use any bios
routines ... the booting is _not_ done by FreeBSD, so I was still right
there, but the PnP assignment, perhaps the data from that (but not the
routines) are used, is that a correct assumption?  The point was, our
device drivers don't make any use of bios routines.  Is that right?  You
*are* a device driver author, so I'll assume you can answer that
correctly.

The Pnp stuff, I mean the assignment, is done before FreeBSD gets
control, right?  And there is never any call from FreeBSD to any bios
code, right?  Even remapped code, or any code originally copied from
bios, right?

> 	cheers
> 	luigi
> Luigi Rizzo                  |  Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
> email: luigi@iet.unipi.it    |  Universita' di Pisa
> tel: +39-50-568533           |  via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
> fax: +39-50-568522           |  http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).