Date:      Sat, 8 Sep 2001 09:10:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/30430: package of mozilla fails if configured w/ --disable-mailnews

The following reply was made to PR ports/30430; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To: parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2001 19:05:18 +0300

 On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 09:40:02PM -0700, parv wrote:
 > The following reply was made to PR ports/30430; it has been noted by GNATS.
 >
 > From: parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
 > To: Pete Fritchman <petef@databits.net>
 > Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
 > Subject: Re: ports/30430: package of mozilla fails if configured w/ --disable-mailnews
 > Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2001 00:33:19 -0400
 >
 >  this was, on the fateful occasion around Sep 07 23:14 -0400,
 >  sent by Pete Fritchman
 >  >
 >  > ++ 07/09/01 22:57 -0400 - parv_@yahoo.com:
 >  > | w/ default Makefile, package is made ok.
 >  > |
 >  > | package of mozilla fails if configured w/ --disable-mailnews instead of
 >  > | being enabled w/ this message (btw, install was okay)...
 >  >
 >  > Like you say, this probably happens with many many ports
 >  > (changing/adding a configure option and seeing `make package' fail).  In
 >  > most cases, it would be appropriate to add a WITHOUT_FOO hook in the
 >  > Makefile and use PLIST_SUB (if the WITHOUT_FOO hook is specified, expand
 >  > %%FOO%% to @comment, otherwise make it '').  Then just prefix everything
 >  > specific to 'FOO' with %%FOO%% in pkg-plist.
 >
 >  thanks for the pointer, pete.
 >
 >  >
 >  > | don't know, but a general solution would be much appreaciated when
 >  > | the software (& related files) installed are not what "make
 >  > | package" would expect as it happens w/ almost every port.
 >  >
 >  > I don't think a 'general solution' would be possible (due to the variety
 >  > of configuration/installation methods by all 5800+ ports in the tree).
 >  >

 >  i think you are considering changes in/to hardcoded lists of files; i was
 >  thinking that may be package target would get the installed files via
 >  pkg_info, or something similar, and then a package would be created
 >  from that output ... instead of a hardcoded list of files found in,
 >  say, pkg-plist.

 pkg_info only works with already-created packages; there is no way
 the Ports collection would know which files were installed when
 the INSTALL_CMD was invoked inside a port's WRKSRC directory.
 The only way to find out would be doing a find(1) over PREFIX
 before and after the installation, and seeing which files appeared;
 however, this will not work in all cases, since files may have
 appeared in directories within PREFIX for reasons entirely unrelated
 to this port's installation.  For example, another port might have
 been installed at the same time, or a webserver's logs might have
 rotated, or a whole slew of other things might have happened to cause
 a file to appear :)

 There is absolutely no automated way for the Ports collection makefiles
 to know which files were installed by a port, and thus, which files to
 package up; this is left to the port maintainer to decide.  Incidentally,
 pkg_info(1) on an installed port takes its information from the package
 database, which is populated at port installation time - from the pkg-plist
 itself :)  So, all pkg_info lists is the contents of pkg-plist with
 the port build options.

 G'luck,
 Peter

 --
 because I didn't think of a good beginning of it.