Date:      Thu, 7 Sep 2000 12:32:33 +0200
From:      Gunnar Flygt <gunnar@pluto.sr.se>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   apm0 problem

I have a small problem, that I can't find a solution to in the handbook
or elsewhere. The machine is an old Toshiba T3400CT with 486 processor,
running 4.1-RELEASE.

When the machine goes to "sleep" ie apm puts it in some wait state, it
is impossible to make it alive again. That is, there's no problem to get
into the machine via the network interface, but if I push some key on
the keyboard, nothing happens, and the machine is still "locally
sleeping"

dmesg says follwing concerning apm:
apm0: <APM BIOS> on motherboard
apm: found APM BIOS v1.0, connected at v1.0

If I run s on dev I get:
bash-2.04# ls -l /dev/apm*
crw-rw-r--  1 root  operator   39,   0 Sep  6 17:23 /dev/apm
crw-rw----  1 root  operator   39,   8 Sep  7 12:20 /dev/apmctl

but if I run `apm` I get:
bash-2.04# apm
APM version: 1.0
APM Managment: Enabled
AC Line status: on-line
Battery status: charging
Remaining battery life: 100%
Remaining battery time: unknown
Number of batteries: unknown
Resume timer: unknown
APM Capacities:
        unknown

If I use apm -z the machine turns off it's power, so I won't use that
option again. My only problem is that I want to get it to wake up when
it has put itself to "sleep" ie. the screen goes black but the computer
is still very much on.

Please cc me since I don't normally subscribe to questions!

--
                           __o
regards, Gunnar       ---_ \<,_