Date:      Tue, 29 Aug 1995 10:48:13 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: S.O.S -2.1Stable and ASUSP54TP4

Rodney W. Grimes stands accused of saying:
> > Just on the 'cuda thread; I had opportunity to eyeball a pile of -4's
> > tonight.  Some observations for fans of big and fast disks, and
> > particularly those that have met these drives before :
>
> By -4's do you mean ``Hawk-4'' series drives?  As far as I can tell
> the -4 in Barracuda-4 and Hawk-4 just means it is a 4G drive.

Nope, Barracuda-4

> >  - They're quiet.  (Yes, sports fans, quiet)
> >  - They don't get very hot.  (One busy unit packed in a small,
> >    convection-cooled case with its power supply was finger-touch
> >    warm - all of the drives had been running for over a week)
>
> That was _not_ a Barracuda drive, unless seagate did some major
> changes and didn't change the model name/number.  Please give exact
> details as to seagate model number.  I suspect you where looking at
> a Hawk drive (ST15230N), which do match the above description.

Unless Seagate have started sticking inch-round labels with a picture
of a fish and "BARRACUDA" over the spindle motors on their Hawk family
disks, I suspect that it was, indeed, a Barracuda; my notes say
ST15150N (Two PWA's in the old CDC style, spindle motor sticking through
one of them, SCSI connector & jumpers on the other at right angles against
the back of the chamber)

(Yes, I'd expect to be able to tell the difference 8)

Thinking about it, it's possible that there was a _really_small_ fan in
the case (it's basically the width of a 3.5" drive, twice as high as
a 1/2-height drive like the 'cuda, and with about 2" of clearance
behind the drive.  The back panel's covered with SCSI connectors, power
connector, switch & ID selector, hence my assumption that it's convection
cooled.  If there's a fan, it'd have to be hidden under the drive
forward of the power supply...

Either way, in comparison to the earlier 'cudas I've met, it was cool
and quiet, which was really all I had to say 8)

> Rod Grimes                                      rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[