Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 2000 18:25:30 +0100
From:      "Andy Coates" <andy@friends-tv.net>
To:        "Rahul Siddharthan" <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Pine, POP3, and Maildirs.. Help!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rahul Siddharthan" <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To: "Andy Coates" <andy@friends-tv.net>
Cc: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2000 6:03 PM

> > I've been playing with Maildirs recently, currently using Qmail's pop3d
> > give my user accounts more than one POP account. All mail is stored in
> > various Maildirs for each pop account and that works a dream, just how I
> > wanted. But I then realised that normal user accounts local to the
system
> > can't use Maildirs with Pine (v4.21).
> >
> > As users tend to check their local mail from the system, I *need* pine
> > support Maildirs. Looking at the qmail page I found various patches to
allow
> > this, but I can't find one for 4.21 (just 4.20, which doesn't want to
> > install on my system for some reason).
> >
> > Has anyone seen a patch for Pine4.21 then? Or have any other idea how I
can
> > allow users on the system to check their system mail without using pop3d
as
> > the delivery system?
>
> Try using some other POP client?  Or fetchmail?  Or IMAP rather than
> POP (Pine can handle imap directly, and so can many other mail
> clients)?  With qmail you can have users set up multiple mailboxes
> corresponding to different aliases on the server, and you can access
> all these mailboxes from the local machine with Pine using imap.
> Is that what you want?

Sounds like the IMAP thing could be worth using - I hear Pine can use IMAP,
does that need any modifications for that to work with maildirs too? I'll
have to find some decent IMAP faq and see what its all about. Anyone
recommend any?

The idea of the user accessing all the mailboxes from the local machine is
no big deal, as I just had to make sure "one" account could be read so I
could send system messages / problems if needed. The idea of multiple pop
boxes is mainly for friends/customers/clients of the user, so he wouldn't
need to check them anyway.

As long as I can get IMAP to work with Maildirs, I'll be sorted :)

Thanks for the info,
Andy.