Date:      Sat, 19 Sep 1998 09:58:24 -0700
From:      Parag Patel <parag@cgt.com>
To:        Gilad Rom <lickyou@localhost.my.domain>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UDMA Problems.

In message <199809191612.QAA00309@localhost.my.domain>, Gilad Rom
writes:

>ide_pci0: <PCI IDE controller (busmaster capable)> rev 0x20 int a irq
0 on pci
>0.11.0
>ide_pci: controller is simplex, no DMA on secondary channel
>ide_pci: generic_dmainit 01f0:1: warning, IDE controller timing not set
>wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <WDC AC34300L>, DMA, 32-bit, multi-block-16
>wd0: 4104MB (8406720 sectors), 8896 cyls, 15 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S

The warning, IDE controller timing not set, means it didn't set the appropriate UDMA bits because it didn't recognize the chip.

In this case, the code assumes that the BIOS has turned on UDMA mode and things are already configured and ready to roll, which seems not to be the case for you.  You may want to see if your BIOS has settings to turn on UDMA mode and see if that wakes it up.

It's easy enough to fix ide_pci.c if you have the chipset documentation and a test setup, neither of which I have.  (I've added similar support for the CMD646U2 chip in my local source-tree.)

	-- Parag