Date:      Mon, 15 Mar 1999 20:47:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Richard J. Dawes" <rjdawes@physics.ucsd.edu>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: An Idea [was "What do people think of May 1st for a 3.2 release date?"]

	I'm not aware what are the "logistics" involved.  But I do see
how the diversity of configurations and hardware could lead to diffi-
culties.  (I run SMP myself.)  But that's why I was trying for a "keep
it simple", "unofficial" approach.
	If some people have different problems than Jordan, or whoever
might make such decisions as I suggested... well, that's the main reason
this mailing list exists, isn't it?  Having to address important out-
standing issues in the sphere of one's own systems is clearly a case
where a close tracking of STABLE (with contributions, of course!) is
necessitated.
	In any case, I would hope (as do you, I sure) that, over a one
or two month period, the general state of STABLE improves somewhat, for
just about any configuration.  My idea, in a nutshell, is to give people
easier access to that level of improvement, in general, with very
minimal fuss on anyone's part, and without disrupting the normal cycle
of releases.  If there be caveats, then just state them openly in Readme
form.
	Anyway, I openly acknowledge that my view of things is too
primitive.  (Hopefully this will change over time.)  Sorry for persist-
ing in the face of your gentle response.  I won't waste any more band-
width on this.

--Rich