Date:      Tue, 4 Feb 2003 23:11:24 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Correct installer behaviour?

On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 07:40:59PM +0000, Neil Darlow wrote:
> I have created a single slice on each drive (ad0s1 and ad2s1) then attempted
> to create some disklabel partitions on each.
>
> For drive ad0 creating a FS partition gives ad0s1a and a SWAP partition gives
> ad0s1b - fine so far.
>
> For drive ad2 creating a FS partition gives ad2s1d and a SWAP partition gives
> ad2s1b - this seems odd.
>
> Why isn't the first partition on ad2 ad2s1a? Is this correct behaviour or is
> it a bug?

/stand/sysinstall enforces the convention that the 'a' partition
contains the root of the filesystem.  Other mount points get assigned
to the 'd', 'e', 'f', 'g' or 'h' partitions --- if I remember
correctly that's done just based on the order that you create the
partitions.

That whole layout scheme is no more than an arbitrary convention.  If
you use 'disklabel -e' you can create pretty much whatever
partitioning you want.  Partitions don't need to be created in order
across the disk (ie. 'a' outermost, starting at cylinder 0, then 'b',
etc.).  They can even overlap, although that has limited utility.
Then all you need do is make sure /etc/fstab is consistent with your
disklabels, mount your partitions and you're up and running.

There's one restriction.  I think some filesystem management commands
may get upset if the 'c' partition doesn't span the whole slice.  That
shouldn't need to be the case anymore as nowadays there are suitable
device nodes available.  I guess it's traditional more than anything.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way