Date:      Fri, 25 Jun 1999 02:12:54 -0700
From:      notme <notme@lvdi.net>
To:        aaron <merch@ptd.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and Linux

Hi,
    Well, a year ago, when I was 16, I first touched on FreeBSD, and
I am glad that I didn't start from Linux.  Although at first FreeBSD
*seems* a bit harder then Linux (usage and installation), I personally
find
the "build-it-yourself" personallity of FreeBSD much satifying.  I also
found (well, don't bash me... just my opinion) that Linux to be a bit
too
"sugar coated." (although at the same time, it means userfriendly :)
    If you're looking forward to use UNIX as a learning tool, FreeBSD is

the way to go! (Heck, I started as a beginner last year, and learned
through
websites to setup fileservers and stuff like that...)  On the other
hand, I
found Linux to be a bit more userfriendly... (But at the same time, you
don't
learn as much from the process of setting stuff up yourself...:)

Well, above was just a very subjective and personal view.  As you can
see, I would encourage you to use FreeBSD. (It's free, and you don't
have to worry about the different slackware and redhat... :)

here's some FreeBSD resource

www.freebsd.org
http://www.dvl-software.com/freebsd/topics.htm
www.freebsdrocks.com

you can download FreeBSD at ftp.cdrom.com
or buy the book with 4 CDs (I which includes all the port selections
and actual "installation files" [distfiles]) for a bit less then US$50

Hope I helped :)

Frankie