Date:      Fri, 11 Jan 2002 15:01:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Alan Eldridge <alane@geeksrus.net>
Cc:        dwcjr@FreeBSD.ORG, FreeBSD Ports List <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: CUPS support can be unconditional [signing off of this one]

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002, Alan Eldridge wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 02:45:23PM -0500, Joe Clarke wrote:
>
> >I think it makes things even more confusing since CUPS printing will not
> >work with just cups-base.  And, when you compile with CUPS printing, Samba
> >tries to enable it by default.  Therefore, without cups-lpr, printing will
> >be broken in CUPS by default if you just include cups-base...and do so
> >unconditionally.
>
> Does anybody start Samba and just expect it to work with no
> configuration?
>
> If you can print, by default, via samba and regular lpr, without ever
> once running SWAT or editing smb.conf, then you've got a point, And a
> very insecure samba installation by default.

SWAT was the one that configured CUPS for me automatically.  As soon as I
installed Samba with CUPS, I went into SWAT, and _it_ added the printing
entries to smb.conf for me.  I guess had I gone into advanced I could have
saud, "whoa!  I have to do BSD printing."

> We'll just have to disagree on this. It's dwcjr@'s call. Samba and
> kdelibs are the only ports that have the cups issue. I'm not likely to
> budge from my position, and I doubt I can sway you from yours.

Yep.  But you already have one proponent it seems.  I'll compromise on the
PACKAGE_BUILDING, otherwise we'll have to agree to disagree :-).

Joe