Date:      Thu, 23 Jul 1998 17:42:46 -0500
From:      keyser@clio.rice.edu (Kevin Keyser)
To:        Dang-Ngoc.Tuyet-Tram@prism.uvsq.fr
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: building a kernel for different machine

> Suppose I have 3 computers with the following characteristic
>
> A : bi-pentium pro with FreeBSD3.0 (19980520)
> B : 486 with FreeBSD2.2.6
> C : cyrix with FreeBSD2.2.6
>
> A and C work pretty well, and FreeBSD2.2.6 is installed on
> B but the kernel cannot be rebuild because there is not enough
> disk space on it (I must absolutely rebuild the kernel because my
> NE2000 clone ethernet card cannot work without rebuilding the kernel,
> right ?) . Can I build the kernel using the parameters of B
> on machine C and then copy it to B via a Floppy disk ?

Absolutely.  Make a new config file /sys/i386/conf/<whatever> for B on C.
Do the usual config and make steps, then move the resulting kernel over
to B.

> And if I build the kernel on machine A and copy it to B witout
> reinstalling other components, will I have B under FreeBSD3.0 ?
> or won't just it work ?

I think what you will have is trouble, but I've never tried such.

> For installing FreeBSD3.0 on machine A, I've installed 2.2.6,
> then I had just copy the 3.0 source on A and rebuild. It seems
> to work on A (never had a problem until now) and SMP works well.
> But was that the right way to do, or will I get into troubles later ?

I'm not sure on this one.

> A last stupid question : building a kernel of another machine
> on a different machine as I describe above, is that what it is called
> "cross-compiling" ? Or am I mixing everything ?

I would say cross-compiling is using a compiler to generate object
code for a different *architecture* than where the compiler is
running.

> Thanks a lot,
>
> Tuyet Tram DANG NGOC
> - --
> dntt@prism.uvsq.fr
> Universite de Versailles
> http://www.ens-info.uvsq.fr:8000/~dntt/index.html
>
> I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them. - Isaac Asimov

Kevin