Date:      Thu, 8 Apr 1999 12:14:19 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>
Cc:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vtable thunks with egcs

On Tue, 6 Apr 1999, David O'Brien wrote:

# > I'm assuming that the default for egcs uses vtable thunks instead of
# > offsets in the vtable to handle multiple inheritance.
#
# At the moment, yes.
#
# > It occurred to me that since this changes the C++ calling convention,
# > we have to bump the major version number of all c++ libraries,
# > particularly the ones in ports.
#
# Not only that, but the differences in exceptions, rtti, etc... it is well
# known that you can't even use C++ libs compiled with g++ 2.8.{0,1} with
# EGCS.
#
# Guess Steve is in for some fun when he sees just how broken Ports are
# with EGCS.  ;-)

The one I'm fretting over right now is emacs.  I haven't quite
figured out why, but invoking it brings up the window, but never
displays anything in the window.  Using a version built with the
old compiler doesn't seem to make any difference. :(

-steve

# --
# -- David    (obrien@NUXI.com  -or-  obrien@FreeBSD.org)
#
# P.S. There is a problem with bootstraping right now that causes something
# not to be compiled by EGCS that needs to be.  I'm working on this right
# now...  so we might not want to change any ports just yet.