Date:      Mon, 8 Jun 1998 13:45:23 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Vladimir Kushnir <kushn@mail.kar.net>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Subject:   Re: XFree86 & elf

On Sun, 7 Jun 1998, Vladimir Kushnir wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Jun 1998, Vladimir Kushnir wrote:
>
> Well, I did rebuild XFree port (3.3.2, with 3.3.2-patch1 & 3.3.3-patch2)
> with your patches. Thanks a lot, they've made it:
>
>  ~> file /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_SVGA
> /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_SVGA: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version
> 1 (FreeBSD), dynamically linked, not stripped
<snip>

> Now there's some more problem: modules don't want to load:
> pex5.so:	Undefined symbol "EventSwapVector"
> xie.so:		Undefined symbol "isItTimeToYield"
>
> Both defined as extern, and for the life of mine I can't see what's wrong
> with them (isItTimeToYield seems to be merely char, and so on).

Ok, got it. This has nothing to do with dl(open, sym and so on) (anyway,
thanks, Amansio!). It seems, that (elf-converted) system doesn't work
quite correctly. All these undefined symbols are defined in _static_
libs, and when linked with those libs, program for some reason doesn't
suck the symbols in unless an additional "-export-dynamic" flag is given.
With it, everything works perfectly all right.

BTW, I'm probably just stupid, but would please some kind soul explain 2
things:
i) Do we need underscore for elf dlsym? 'Cause I (just out of ignorance)
commented out #define PREPEND_UNDERSCORE in
xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/common/xf86Dl.c (now it's init_module
instead of _init_module and so on) - and X loads modules without
complaint,
and
ii) Why does conversion to elf give really measurable gain in floating
point performance (up to 20-30% according to whetstone). It's _very_ nice,
but I wish I understood all this.

Regards,
Vladimir