Date:      Tue, 14 Nov 2000 10:41:13 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        tjmsdn@ifrance.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: C and C++ on FreeBSD

In message <00111412240100.00321@tjonas_dev.eicon.com> Thierry writes:
: We are implementing our OS modem on FreeBSD, but lot of our sources
: have writen in C++.  Is it possible to compile the FreeBSD kernel in
: C++ to include our driver ?

Yes and No.

If you use only the bare minimal subset of features for the C++ and
avoid the problem areas of the language, you might be able to.  But
you'd have to add new and delete support to the kernel's library.
That should be almost trivial.

The problem areas definitely include exceptions, some automatic memory
allocation (where temporary variables are malloced), large objects
appearing on the stack (because the kernel stack is so small).  I
don't know if ctors for static objects would be called in the kernel.
Templates might also be a problem, but they might not.

Years ago I was able to do some very simple C++ in the kernel, but
never integrated the support.

Warner