Date:      Thu, 09 Aug 2001 13:46:29 +0900
From:      "R. Lahaye" <lahaye@users.sourceforge.net>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   top command: STATE info unclear

Hi,

On my FreeBSD 4.3 machine, I try to understand the STATE column.
The 'man top' says somewhere:

    [...]
    STATE is the current state (one of "sleep", "WAIT", "run",
    "idl", "zomb", or "stop")
    [...]

However, this does not at all match with the actual states in the
STATE column of the 'top' command:

    RUN, select, mfsidl, nanslp, piperd, wait, ttyin, poll

Apparently the man pages of the 'top' command are not synchronized with
the actual command. How can I find out what the STATE items mean?

For example: top says that I have one zombie process, but I can't find
out in the STATE column which process is zombie.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,
Rob.

PS: please send a reply also to me personally, since I am not member of
the FreeBSD question mailing list.