Date:      Sun, 19 May 1996 20:04:49 +0200
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Beware: PCI NE2000 device names change with latest -current

Just wanted to let everybody know that I finally got around
to commit the PCI support for NE2000 clone Ethernet cards to
the -current tree. There currently is support for the REALTEK
SEMICONDUCTOR chip, currently, but others would be easy to add.

Just send me the boot messages, if you got a PCI Ethernet card
that works with the ED driver and is not automatically configured.

In case you had configured your ed0 device to use the port
addresses and irq assigned by the PCI BIOS and used the ISA
driver up to now, you should restore the GENERIC settings in
the kernel config file, or both the PCI and the ISA scan will
find the card and will both try to attach it!

Since the config file reserves the ed0 (and possibly ed1) device
for ISA cards, any NE2000 PCI cards will get names starting one
higher than the highest configured ed device.

I.e. if you use the GENERIC kernel and have two PCI NE2000 cards,
they will be known as ed2 and ed3.

If you used a PCI NE2000 card with the ISA driver you will have to:

1) Change back the port number of ed0 to NOT match the port
   assigned to the PCI card.

2) Change /etc/sysconfig to use ed1 (or ed2) instead of ed0.

Regards, STefan
--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160