Date:      Thu, 20 May 1999 10:56:25 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joseph Thomas <jpt@networkcs.com>
To:        dcs@newsguy.com (Daniel C. Sobral)
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, jpt@networkcs.com, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Modem/sio1 on Toshiba Satellite 2545

> Mike Smith wrote:
> >
> > > Problem:
> > >       This machine has what's identified as a "Toshiba Internal V.90 Modem"
> > > on what Win98 sees as COM1 with a 16550A uart. My problem is that FBSD comes
> > > up with:
> > >     sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
> > >     sio1 not found at 0x2f8
> > >
> > > Question:
> > >       Does anyone know what this modem really is? (ie. is it one of the
> > > *ACK* "dreaded winmodems")
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > >       Why doesn't FBSD at least see this as sio1?
> >
> > Because it's a WinModem.
>
> Actually, Mike, if Win98 sees it as COM1, I'd be surprised if
> FreeBSD found it out as sio1. Perhaps Joseph would be more succesful
> with sio0?
>
> --
> Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
> dcs@newsguy.com
> dcs@freebsd.org
>
> 	"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you."

	Sorry - the COM1 is a typo on my part. I'm used to the 0 origin.
Win98 finds it as COM2 (COM1 aka sio0 is an external 9pin serial connector).
What I've seen from everyone (and what I suspect is reality - which I can't
check at the moment because the misses has the laptop) is that this is one
of those dreaded WinModem beasties I think using the Lucent DSP. If that's
the case, the best I can do is disable sio1 in my config until someone
gets ambitious enough to write a driver. [Interesting project - I haven't
done any DSP work yet...] There's some stuff I've found on various pages
regarding WinModems which should help me identifiy whose chip etc. is
there once I get my hands on the machine again.

Thanks all.

--
Joseph Thomas                           E/Mail:  jpt@networkcs.com
Network Computing Services, Inc.    	 	 jpt@magic.net

	An elephant is a mouse with an operating system.