Date:      Sun, 22 Jan 2006 18:07:09 +0300
From:      "Andrew P." <infofarmer@gmail.com>
To:        Xn Nooby <xnooby@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Post-Install update steps?

On 1/22/06, Xn Nooby <xnooby@gmail.com> wrote:
> After installing FreeBSD, I would like to follow some simple steps to get=
 it
> fully up-to-date.  The Handbook and other online instructions seem a bit
> overwhelming.  I developed some instructions when I was experiementing wi=
th
> 5.x, and I'm not sure if the are still valid for 6.x.  Do these instructi=
ons
> look okay, or should I be using something else?

You might want to do "portsnap fetch && portsnap extract"
before doing anything with ports on a fresh system. It will
download and extract the latest ports tree in just a few
minutes.

> cd /usr/ports/editors/nano
> make install clean
>
> cd /usr/ports/net/cvsup
> make all install clean

Why do you install net/cvsup? cvsup-without-gui is
actually cvsup itself, just without gui.

> cd /usr/ports/net/cvsup-without-gui
> make all install clean
>
> cd /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade
> make install clean
>
> rehash
>
> cd /usr/src
> cp /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile .

You'd be better off keeping your supfiles somewhere
in /root

> cp /usr/share/examples/cvsup/refuse .

/usr/src is not the place for a refuse file. Just skip this,
it won't really harm you in any way.

> nano -w stable-supfile
>   *host =3D cvsup10.FreeBSD.org
>   *default release=3Dcvs tag=3DRELENG_6

Reconsider using -stable. If you're not that familiar
with FreeBSD, stay on the safe side (i.e. security
updates branch) and change RELENG_6 to
RELENG_6_0

>   ports-all tag=3D.

You'd better keep ports updated with portsnap(8)

>   doc-all tag=3D.
>
> cvsup -g -L 2 stable-supfile
>
> less UPDATING
>
> make buildworld
> make buildkernel KERNCONF=3DGENERIC
> make installkernel

Just "make kernel" instead of these 2 lines

> shutdown -r now

I'm under impression that this reboot is superfluous

> shutdown now
> cd /usr/src
> make installworld
> mergemaster
>   delete hosts file !

Delete it? Just do not let mergemaster change it

>   run MAKEDEV at end !

Nope, you don't run it now that we have devfs

> shutdown -r now
>
> portsdb -Uu

If you followed my advice and use portsnap instead
of cvsup for ports, you'll need just "portsdb -u"

> portversion -l "<"

I like "portversion -L=3D" more

> portupgrade -arR

Just "portupgrade -a". -r and -R are ignored if -a is set.

> reboot

You'll be on the safe side using "shutdown -r now" until
you know exactly how "reboot" differs. I still don't :-)

And - last but not least - read the Handbook. If you really
really can't, save yourself a great deal of time and use
Linux or Windows. [ You'll save yourself an even greater
deal of time if you read the docs and forget about the
two latter OSes ]