Date:      Fri, 5 May 2000 16:51:17 -0500 (CDT)
From:      David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
To:        Vincent Poy <vince@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hard Disk Data Recovery

On Fri, 5 May 2000, Vincent Poy wrote:

> On Fri, 5 May 2000, David Scheidt wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 5 May 2000, Vincent Poy wrote:
> > >
> > > 	Depends.  On a desktop, you can easily clone the drives.  On a
> > > notebook, how do you clone the drives or do images to CDs without taking
> > > the drive out and connecting it to a desktop?
> >
> > rdump?
>
> 	Wouldn't that only work if the machine was connected to the
> network?

Yeah, there's that.  Laptops are a problem to keep backup up.  I think the
best solution is not to have much on them.  If all you have is real data,
you can backup to floppy.  There isn't 2 megs of real data on my laptop most
of the time.  I leave a copy of mail on a server, and back up the base
configuration, so the only thing I have to worry about is whatever I am
working on.  That fits handly on a floppy, or I can copy it some other
machine the next time I am on a network.  A couple of megs doesn't take that
long to move over even a failrlyh slow modem.