Date:      Mon, 12 Jun 2000 14:04:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   IPv6, PCcard and rc scripts

I have put this at the end of pccard_ether:

case ${ipv6_enable} in
[Yy][Ee][Ss])
        ipv6_network_interfaces=${interface}
        ipv6_default_interface=${interface}
        . /etc/rc.network6
        network6_pass1
        ;;
esac

It _sort of_ fixes the problem of what to do if you use IPv6 with
pccard Ethernet cards. The problem remaining is that the boot
stuff will still see ipv6_enable=YES and attempt to configure
an interface that is either nonexistent or already up.

I'm mentioning this because the issue needs some further thought.
I propose that the rc.network* scripts be touched up a bit so that
the export a per-interface setup function. This per-interface
function would be called once at startup for each interface or
once at pc-card insert/remove time, but never at both. Along with
this would be functions that happen purely at system startup
or after one or more grouped calls to the per-interface setup
function.

Comments?