Date:      Mon, 21 Oct 1996 13:47:38 +0200 (MESZ)
From:      "Hr.Ladavac" <lada@ws2301.gud.siemens.co.at>
To:        michaelh@cet.co.jp
Cc:        phk@critter.tfs.com, jdp@polstra.com, bde@zeta.org.au, current@FreeBSD.org, wollman@lcs.mit.edu
Subject:   Re: <sys/queue.h>

E-mail message from Michael Hancock contained:

> The original mixes up tag names and type names, which is a bogus thing to
> do.
>
> Use typedefs for scalars such as dev_t and for complex objects that
> combine arrays, pointers, structs, and functions.
>
> For simple structs, the typedef doesn't gain you much aside from not
> having to type "struct".

I have some strong feelings about that: namely, a typedef should be used
for *any* type that is supposed to be opaque.

If my program does not need to know whether something is a struct or a
scalar or whatever, it *must not* know it either.  This tends to make
interface maintenance trivial (i.e. you have to recompile the interface
consumers, but you don't need to patch their sources as well).

MHO, naturally :)
/Marino