Date:      Tue, 11 Aug 1998 16:55:12 +0000
From:      "Duncan Barclay" <dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk>
To:        Stefan Bethke <stefan@promo.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Network stack assumptions

> Hi,
>
> On Die, 11. Aug 1998 14:39 Uhr +0000 Duncan Barclay
> <dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Out of interest can theFreeBSD network stack support network
> > interfaces which provide both connection orientated and connection
> > less protocols?
> >
> > Take a look at www.homerf.org and www.bluetooth.com. I'm under
> > NDA as Symbionics (my employer and one of the Core Companies) is
> > overseeing parts of  the SWAP specification writing and I'm writing
> > specs (and hopefully designing) for RFICs to go in these things.
> >
> > Both of these systems offer isochronous data on connection orientated
> > streams for voice and LAN (802.11 style for SWAP) connectionless
> > streams  for data.
>
> That definitly sounds interesting. You might want to be a bit more
> specific about your questions, however. Also, there are probably
> some people on this list who can comment on these issues far better
> than me.

Okay, can the kernel cope with a device hanging off a USB port or
integrated into the motherboard or a PCI card which provides wireless
LAN capabilities with mutliple protocols running on it?

Asynchronous data is 802.11 style, isochronous data is DECT sytle for
SWAP, can't remember the protocols for Bluetooth. They will support a
number of concurrent voice calls between handsets/apps software on
your PC along with LAN activity (i.e. wireless printing from your
laptop).

In some instances the FreeBSD box will have to be a some form of
controller which manages the routing of the network.

[tutorial snipped]. Sorry, I meant the device driver and network
stack framework!

> Stefan

Duncan