Date:      Tue, 20 Mar 2012 15:54:13 +0100
From:      Gustau Perez Querol <gperez@entel.upc.edu>
To:        <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Cloning VLAN interfaces

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 12:11:10 -0400, jammin2night wrote:
> FreeBSD charon 9.0-STABLE FreeBSD 9.0-STABLE #14 r233107: Sun Mar 18
> 05:26:58 EDT 2012     root@charon:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CHARON  amd64
>
> Hello:
>
> I have a machine that has a 802.1q trunk attached which works fine.
> I can create VLAN interfaces, apply an IP address to them and all is
> good.
>
> I have VirtualBox running on this machine and need to present an
> interface to a VM that does not support trunking natively.  I've
> googled and searched the archive trying to figure out how to create
> an
> interface that VirtualBox will use where the 802.1Q tags are removed
> but have not had any success.

   If I understood you correctly, you want to bridge the interface
without 802.1q, so the tag/untag would be done by the host machine?

   If that's the case you can bridge the guest's virtual interface to
the vlan interface, so the guest won't see the tags.  You can't do with
the VBox GUI, but the VBox TUI (VBoxManage ) is able to do what you
want. Let's suppose you want to bridge the host's vlan10 interface with
the first virtual interface of a virtual machine named "FreeBSD virtual
machine" and let's suppose it will be a virtio interface:

      VBoxManage modifyvm "FreeBSD virtual machine" --nic1 bridge
--nictype bridge virtio --bridgeadapter vlan10

   Actually I'm using this kind of setup with around 10 virtual
machines, each one serving 5 vlans. It is a very flexible setup because
the virtual machines don't need to worry about the physical segmentation
of my network, but only the logical segmentation (at IP level).

   Gustau