Date:      Sat, 7 Dec 1996 19:56:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.org, dkelly@hiwaay.net
Subject:   Slowest machine [was Re: TCP/IP...]

Talking about old crappy hardware, I was just reading a notice on SCO
XENIX.  Apparently, SCO recently released an update to fix XENIX for the
year 2000, and they said this was probably the last update ever to XENIX.
SCO doesn't want to support it anymore because, among other braindamage,
it is nearly impossible to find hardware OLD and SLOW enough to run it!
Some highlights:

* Fastest computer it will run on is a Pentium 90 (and then only if you
turn external cache off!)

* Maximum RAM supported:  16MB

* Largest hard drive supported: 540MB IDE, or 1GB SCSI

The thrust of the article was that even buying the cheapest Far East
no-name vendors products from a computer swap meet, you won't find old
enough hardware to run XENIX.  So, maybe if you hold onto those 386SX
systems you can sell them for big bucks to some desparate XENIX luser.
For more insightful comments on SCO, see my next post to hackers, "Help
I've been SCOed!" about my day trying to upgrade one to Solaris/x86, and
how we can market FreeBSD to SCO users.

-- Jake