Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2001 21:35:05 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        Joel Rosenberg <thisisjoel@hotmail.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Forwarding packets from the internal network

"Crist J. Clark" writes:
> On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 04:15:19PM +0000, Joel Rosenberg wrote:
> >
> > Yeah, that's what it should be doing, but I always end up getting a
> > connection to the other appliance, 192.168.1.20 after an initial login
> > prompt. If I'm inside the network, I can go to both fine.
>
> Have you run natd(8) with the '-v' option to figure out exactly what
> it is thinking during all of this?

I'll quit sounding like a broken record after this message but I don't
suspect there is anything wrong with natd, that the follow up to
192.168.1.20:80 is because 192.168.1.21:80 sent an http data packet
enumerating a URL specifying port 80 back (thru natd with the packet
header rewritten as if it was coming from port 81 but the data
untouched) to the client browser which does as told and makes its next
request of the specified URL at port 80.

This is the same kind of problem we have getting ftp thru natd.

The problem isn't in TCP/IP or natd. Its the http protocol in the
packet's payload.

At least that's my guess.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net