Date:      Sun, 18 Oct 1998 00:51:20 -0500
From:      Tom Jackson <toj@gorilla.net>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>, Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panic

On Sat, Oct 17, 1998 at 10:32:01PM -0700, Mike Smith wrote:
> > *Bingo* no ahh shit! That fixed me here.
> >
> > I'm began running gpl_math_emulate so that the rc5des client would run on
> > the Thinkpad. For your amusement, here's what I get if I change back to the
> > straight math_emulate:
> >
> > -normal probes and swapon-
> > /dev/wd0s1a: clean, 10064 [pid 10 (fsck),uid 0: exited on signal 10]
> > Bus error
> > Unknown error in reboot
> > Enter root password...
> >
> > This one's really a gem. Don't even go into ddb. Let me know if you want to
> > tackle that one.
>
> This isn't something that would take you to ddb; it's fsck exploding
> for some reason.  What happens if you exit single-user mode at this
> point?  Does the system come up OK?
>
> The "normal" math emulator ought to work as well as it ever has(n't).

it goes ahaead and comes up with:

Setting up DEVFS: .
awk: fatal error: internal error
Oct 18 ... slim /kernel.old: pid 219 (awk),uid 0:exited on signal 6 (core
dumped)
Abort trap - core dumped
Starting local daemons...

normal from here

Struck me as strange because I know the default is and I had started with the
less restricted MATH_EMULATE way back when.

--
Tom