Date:      Sat, 20 Sep 2008 19:13:33 -0400
From:      "David Horn" <dhorn2000@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipv6

On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 11:35 AM, beni <beni@brinckman.info> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question about IPv6.
> I installed /net/freenet6 and edited the /usr/local/etc/gw6c.conf file with
> the login and password given by Go6.net.
> I added freenet6_enable="YES", ipv6_enable="YES" and
> ipv6_network_interfaces="vr0 tun0" to my /etc/rc.conf.
> An ifconfig shows this :
> bsdaddict# ifconfig vr0
> vr0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
>        options=2808<VLAN_MTU,WOL_UCAST,WOL_MAGIC>
>        ether 00:0c:76:c2:2c:b7
>        inet6 fe80::20c:76ff:fec2:2cb7%vr0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
>        inet 192.168.1.101 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
>        media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
>        status: active
> bsdaddict#
> So I think the installation of ipv6 is ok : surfing to
> http://go6.net/4105/freenet.asp says "You are using IPv6 from ...". But in
> X-chat, when connecting to Freenode p.ex., I get this :
>
>  FreebsdBeni n=FreeBSD 213.219.143.49.adsl.dyn.edpnet.net :You are now logged
> in. (id FreebsdBeni, username n=FreeBSD, hostname
> 213.219.143.49.adsl.dyn.edpnet.net)

Even if you have properly setup/configured a tunnel to provide IPv6,
does not mean that IPv4 goes away.  You are running in dual stack mode
(both IPv4, and IPv6 active)  You may want to read up a little bit on
IPv6 details and background in the FreeBSD handbook

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/network-ipv6.html

and in the go6.net wiki (among lots of other good IPv6 articles.
Google is your friend here.)

http://wiki.go6.net/index.php?title=IPv6_transition_mechanisms

Most applications that are IPv6 aware will default to using IPv6 if
everything is setup properly.  This includes giving an IPv6 capable
DNS name to your IRC client. (ipv6.chat.us.freenode.net and
ipv6.chat.eu.freenode.net are a few that are IPv6)

I'm not much of an IRC user myself, but I see that several of the
ports of xchat are IPv6 enabled.  You did not specify what version of
Xchat you are using, so I can't comment further there.  Make sure you
are using a version of xchat that supports IPv6, and that you are
using the appropriate IPv6 freenode DNS name.

You can also find a listing of IPv6 capable application ports over on
http://www.freshports.org/ipv6/

> And that is not a ipv6 address. So what am I missing here ? Is it my config or
> is my isp converting my ipv6 back to ipv4 ?

It is your config.  An ISP can not really "automagically" change you
from IPv6 to IPv4 when you have a tunnel active.  You do not provide
an ifconfig for your tunnel interface (tun0), so it is hard to tell
what your configuration looks like.

Can you ping6 the site in question ? (ie:  ping6 ipv6.chat.us.freenode.net)