Date:      Sun, 20 Jun 1999 16:34:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tani Hosokawa <unknown@riverstyx.net>
To:        Jonathon Doran <doranj@Colorado.EDU>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Nt outperforms Linux for web/file server?

Apologies if this was meant to be a private e-mail... it didn't look like
it.

Now, for my soapbox... anyone seen my soapbox?  Ah, there it is... pass it
over.

Apache's slower than other webservers.  I can say this because a multitude
of benchmarks support my case.  Even the Apache developers support this.
In the discussions that took place on linux-kernel and new-httpd people
said that Apache is not a high performance webserver.  In the Apache
Performance Tuning FAQ it says that Apache is not a high performance web
server.  As for Linux at that point in time being buggy scalability-wise
(pre-2.2.7), that's also documented in the various mailing lists.

http://www.acme.com/software/thttpd/benchmarks.html

That is a set of benchmarks that show that Apache is not a high
performance web server, thoroughly beaten down by thttpd, Boa, mathopd,
and Zeus.

From the Apache performance tuning FAQ
(http://www.apache.org/docs/misc/perf-tuning.html):

"Apache is a general webserver, which is designed to be correct first, and
fast second. "

From Dean Gaudet, one of the Apache core developers, on linux-kernel (Fri,
16 Apr 1999 19:28:35 PDT):

'> OK.  Most of the important points have been covered already.  Especially
> the tuning of the apache server itself is one of the most significant
> issues.

Uh I dunno.  Unless by tuning you mean "replace apache with something
that's actually fast" ;)'

Point being, Apache's not fast.  It's pretty fast, and it's stable, and
it's easy to program for -- hence why I use it to serve 80m hits/day (just
about saturating a 100Mb connection) on a couple machines, instead of
jumping into thttpd and hacking code to get the same performance out of
one server.  Which I have done when I felt it prudent, before someone
starts criticizing my "lack of hacker work ethic" or some other such
bullshit.

I hate it when people deny the obvious just because it's bad ol' (insert
your favorite "bad guy" here, in this case Microsoft).  It's naive and
detrimental to everyone involved.

I have yet to see Apache serve 1000 req/sec, and it probably won't inside
the next 6 months. That's not me saying "Apache sux", it's me being
realistic. This isn't me condemning the use of Apache either.  There are
plenty of tools available to the world.  Find the tool that suits your
purpose and use it.  But don't fall into the trap of only using that one
tool for everything.

On Sun, 20 Jun 1999, Jonathon Doran wrote:

> Neither of you guys are making any sense...
>
> Tani says
> 	"Apache Sux"  or something similar without giving any details, or
> 	attempting to back up this claim.  (Ad Homimum)
>
> Micheal says:
> 	"Everyone is using it, so its great", an argument which could be
> 	applied to cigarettes or disco in the 70's.  (Bandwagon)
>
> I doubt most people care how fast Apache is, since they don't serve
> a high enough volume of pages, or their connection saturates before Apache
> does.
>
> Those who do care, have the sources.  And I trust they'll patch it.
>
> And from my point of view, it works well for my application.  So I'm happy
> with it.
>
> Jon Doran

---
tani hosokawa