Date:      Fri, 11 Sep 1998 14:26:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, romank@graphnet.com
Subject:   Re: tape backup

>Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 15:22:35 -0400
>From: Roman Katsnelson <romank@graphnet.com>

>As a quick intro -- I am positively NOT asking anyone to do my work for
>me here, just need a pointer in a relatively relevant direction. :)

>I just hooked up a SCSI tape drive to my machine. I got a tape, and
>tried to test it. However, between the book, handbook and FAQ I was only
>able to get as far as assuming that it's on /dev/rst0. I tried to mount
>it on a directory and got this:

Tapes are sequential (vs. random access) media; you don't "mount"
sequential media....

>/dev/rst0 on /backup: Block device required.

>I don't even know what that means... Help!

And that's (arguably) one of the things the message is trying to tell
you.

>I'm sure this stuff is documented and I'm missing it...

See the man pages for "mt", "dump", and "restore", and you may want to
consider using amanda (in the ports, or see http://www.amanda.org/) --
but there are cases where (in my experience so far) amanda isn't
appropriate.  (At home, for example, using amanda would be prohibitively
expensive in terms of media & time, vs. the home-grown Perl script that
I use.  There are, of course, trade-offs....)

david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621