Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 2002 03:47:53 -0700
From:      David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@regency.nsu.ru>, Cy Schubert - CITS Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Package system wishlist

Thus spake Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>:
> In that case, I think gentoo linux's "portage" setup is just for you.
> The entire system is a collection of "ports" (or, to use their
> terminology, "ebuilds"), plus the kernel.  I like it, but it's clear
> to me that I wouldn't trust such a thing on a server.  It's for people
> who like the "bleeding edge" and such a terminology as "gentoo 1.2 +
> bugfixes" has no meaning: each component is upgraded separately to the
> point where it becomes gentoo 1.3, etc.

This is one of the things that most annoys me about most Linux
distributions.  You often have to specify the distribution and
version you're running, the kernel version, the kernel patches you
happen to be using, the glibc version(s) you have, and the
versions of the relevant chunks of userland.  (What did I miss?)

With FreeBSD, you get The Operating System, version $foo.$bar.  It
is an excellent development environment because the components are
well-integrated and well-documented, and you don't have to hunt
for third-party software that may not work as expected straight
out of the box.  For this reason, I value having most of the
software I use included in the base system.  If I had religious
beliefs about qmail, for example, I would still support keeping
sendmail in the base system for the sake of that principle.

The downside to an integrated userland is elucidated in this
thread.  People are always bitching about the colors of various
bike sheds and screaming `POLA!' every time something is changed.
The fact of the matter is that it's possible to upgrade across
several releases with few surprises, and that's pretty damn good.
I imagine this list would be much quieter if the folks who expect
every software change to be agreeable to them stopped upgrading or
switched to Linux.