Date:      Fri, 29 May 1998 03:13:29 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Florin Nicolescu <cpl92@fx.ro>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: follow: Re: Problem encountered

>> >I've got a problem with this ftp site (ftp.freebsd.org), and I don't
>> >know to whom I should post it.
>> >The problem is that when I want to download a port for any application
>> >(e.g. Scilab.tar), I can get only the very first 1k, then it stops. I
>> >thought this is because of my provider, but when I try downloading the
>> >corresponding distfile (tgz), it works perfectly.
>> >I mention that this started about one week ago, and keeps on repeating.
>> >If you have any suggestion, please let me know.
>>
>>    Do you have any trouble getting any of the other 'ports'? This sounds like
>> it might be a bad link in the path between us and you.
>
>      Here is more information:  when I try to download a tar file for a port
>within Netscape or ftp client, I try to get 'dirname.tar' wher dirname is the
>name of the directory the port resides in. It is the server job to run tar. There
>is a little difference between Netscape and ftp client. Netscape reports only 1k
>(stalled) and keeps waiting for the rest; the ftp client receives 10240 and then
>give me the prompter, but the tar file contains only the Makefile. This is
>happening anytime I try to get a directory like a tar file.
>    Also I must specify that this is happening on both servers (ftp.freebsd.org
>and ftp2.freebsd.org). For normal downloading (e.g. get 'filename') it works
>perfectly.

   That's pretty strange. I just tested it here with Netscape, retrieving
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/security/ssh.tar and had no trouble
getting the complete (50K) file.
   ftp.freebsd.org and ftp2.freebsd.org handle .tar entirely different. In
the ftp.freebsd.org (actually wcarchive.cdrom.com), the tarring feature is
entirely written by me and is internal to the ftp daemon. In the other case,
it is the normal /usr/bin/tar through a pipe method.

-DG

David Greenman