Date:      Wed, 3 Sep 1997 16:39:57 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Anyway to get connect speed with usermode ppp/tun0 device?

(moved to chat)

On Wed, Sep 03, 1997 at 04:29:44PM +0930, Mike Smith wrote:

>>> The speed is specified as 'baud'; in fact, it's bit per second.
>
> It is correct to specify the speed as "baud" in conjunction with a
> single-wire serial interface.

I suppose you mean a two-wire interface.  Sure, you can use the term
baud if that's the speed talking about.  Here we're talking about a
2400 baud interface.  It's transferring 38,400 bits per second.

OK, you might say "this interface is between the serial interface and
the modem".  And yes, over this interface the speed is 38,400 baud as
well as 38,400 bps.  But that's \fIvery\fP misleading, and there's no
need for it.

Greg