Date:      Fri, 25 Jun 1999 06:19:23 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Val Kilmer <malaclypse@diogenes.ionet.net>
To:        notme <notme@lvdi.net>
Cc:        aaron <merch@ptd.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and Linux

	I'm forced to agree, though from different origins. I started on
Slackware Linux, and, after two weeks, managed to get the thing working.
Once. One time. After that, no luck. Wouldn't see half my equipment,
wouldn't properly configure the half it did see.
	FreeBSD, on the other hand, is a tight little beasty. Got it up
and running the first time I downloaded it. After adding a hard drive (and
spending a week finding out exactly where to place it) I'm running a happy
little box, needing a second phone line, and wondering why I didn't start
here before.
	Look at www.cdrom.com's blurbs for both Slackware and FreeBSD.
a)Slackware: The Unix with ATTITUDE! (ie, MtvUNIX)
b)FreeBSD: A *professional quality* Unix OS. (ie Public Radio)
Plus, cdrom.com uses FreeBSD for their massive ftp server.
	Sure, use Linux. it's a viable operating system, once you get into
it. But FreeBSD *is* the next best thing to Solaris UNIX, argueably the
most popular professional UNIX OS's on the market, it's easy to install,
and all it takes is two floppy disks, 500 Meg HD space, and a little time.
	Enjoy the trip.

Cory Ringdahl.

PS: If anyone knows how to get the one piece of equipment that *doesn't*
quite work right on my FreeBSD3.2-R, this PCI Yamaha 128 voice soundcard,
to work, lemme know. Thanks.