Date:      Fri, 05 Feb 1999 03:10:30 -0600
From:      "Dan Dockery" <danarchy@endeneu.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: DOS workstations on FreeBSD server

>We have a FreeBSD server set up as a fileserver for
>our LAN. We want to use all kinds of clients with it. With Windows
>95/98 it is not problem, but with DOS 6.22 it can not get hooked on
>the server. I can initializate the Ethernet LAN Card, but I need some
>kind of shell
>to log in on the server. We don't want to use telnet or ftp, we want
>to have the drives mapped and work on the fileserver directly.
>Can you please help me with this problem?

Your best friend in this case is probably a combination of the LAN
Manager client for DOS and a copy of Samba.  There should be some links
from samba.org to download the LAN Manager client.  I think it's free
now.

-Dan

"Come give anyone of us, for instance, a little more independence, untie our hands, widen the spheres of our activity, relax the controls and we -- yes, I assure you -- we would immediately beg to be under control again."
  -Dostoevsky "Notes from Underground"