Date:      Thu, 17 Sep 1998 12:13:33 -0600
From:      "Mark J. Sommer" <msommer@argotsoft.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installation problems

At 10:48 AM 9/17/98 -0400, you wrote:
>On Wed, 16 Sep 1998 23:11:03 -0800 (AKDT), groggy@iname.com wrote:
>

>>> I think it's because you've laid out your disk wrong.  I believe the
>>> root partition has to fit within the first 1024 sectors, and your's
>>> doesn't.  You have to shrink either or both of your dos partition
>>> and/or root to fit within 504M.  This information appears in the copy
>>> of "The Complete FreeBSD" by Greg Lehey, but no where in the
>>> handbook...
>>
>>uh, it is in the handbook.
>>if you installed the docs,
>>go to /usr/share/docs/handbook
>>and do a grep on 1024 ...
>
>It's not in the handbook on my system or the Internet...
>I did do a grep in the directory and found what you found, but you
>can't get there from handbook.html.  Note that there is a discussion of
>this BIOS limit in the SCSI and ESDI sections, but the IDE section
>hasn't been written.  Those of us who know the info already can read
>the SCSI and ESDI sections and know what applies to IDE and what
>doesn't.  But what about newbies who don't.  The best place is "The
>Complete FreeBSD".  I have a copy that was published in '96 (for 2.1.5)
>and it informs us very clearly on page 29 (hey, that's not likely to be
>overlooked by anyone making a reasonable attempt).
>

>But if I try to find the info in the handbook, it's not under an IDE or
>EIDE section.  Confusing for the newbies.
>
>Which is why I always encourage people new to FreeBSD to get Greg's
>book.  It will significantly reduce the questions on this list to a
>manageable level (hey, it's over 200 a day right now).

Suppose I have a single file system taking the entire SCSI disk.  If the
/kernel isn't within the first 1024 cylinders, would this cause me to fail
a boot?  The reason I ask is because after rebuilding the kernel, I can't
seem to boot.  I get a terse error message something like:

ERROR	1127 > 1023  BIOS limitation

and it halts.

If this is the case, the handbook should recommend an initial file system
(or insist) on an initial file system in the first 1024 cylinders even if
you're only going to put FreeBSD on the system.