Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 2013 19:57:44 +0100
From:      "Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen@punkt.de>
To:        drosih@rpi.edu
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, glebius@freebsd.org, julian@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [heads up] axing AppleTalk and IPX/SPX

Hi, all,

Am 28.10.2013 um 17:49 schrieb drosih@rpi.edu:
> I notice that CAP was removed from the ports collection some time ago,
> and that there didn't seem to be any objections to that.  So that's
> some more indication that appletalk isn't seeing much use.

I=92d guess the main reason is that Apple and Novell had enough =
foresight
to make their proprietary file sharing and printing protocols run over =
IP.
And for Apple this has been the case, since when? System 7.5.? Earlier, =
even?

I=92m curious what it is your are running in sufficient numbers to make =
Appletalk
mandatory?

> As far as the kernel-level support, I assume you're just removing all
> the code tied to the kernel options NETATALK and NETATALKDEBUG?  Or =
does
> it entail some other changes, which might wreck my custom compile of =
CAP?

IIRC - and I used to use CAP a lot - it uses BPF to get the interface =
into promiscuous
mode and does all of the protocol itself. So as long as the upcoming =
changes do not
touch the BPF API, you should be fine.

Kind regards
Patrick
--=20
punkt.de GmbH * Kaiserallee 13a * 76133 Karlsruhe
Tel. 0721 9109 0 * Fax 0721 9109 100
info@punkt.de       http://www.punkt.de
Gf: J=FCrgen Egeling      AG Mannheim 108285