Date:      Fri, 11 Jan 2002 21:44:52 +0100
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        Alan Eldridge <alane@geeksrus.net>, dwcjr@freebsd.org, FreeBSD Ports List <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: CUPS support can be unconditional

--1y6imfT/xHuCvpN0

On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 03:19:09PM -0500, Joe Clarke wrote:
> I'd actually like to propose another compromise to this issue.  If people
> agree with cups-base bloat is okay, then we need a pkg-message telling
> users that if they _really_ want to CUPS printing support in Samba, they
> need to build cups-lpr.

That's what Alan suggested in his patch, isn't it?

> I still think that by only partially enabling CUPS support in Samba,
> you'll be confusing people, but by having a pkg-message, you'll help to
> avert some questions and confusion.

Well it depends - if, by linking Samba with CUPS, Samba's default for the
print system is changed to CUPS, that would be confusing, because CUPS woul=
dn't
be installed fully. Ideally, Samba would always default to using stock BSD =
lpr,
and by tweaking smb.conf it could be made to use CUPS. However, this needs =
be tested. Unfortunately, I don't have time this weekend :( I'll try it out
monday if you guys don't beat me to it.

--Stijn

--=20
What would this sentence be like if it weren't self-referential?

--1y6imfT/xHuCvpN0

--1y6imfT/xHuCvpN0--